Start a sample from a cc message on a pedal

• white2833
    Participant

New user here running Falcon 3.0.1 on my Mac through  Gig Performer.  I have 2 MIDI controllers connected via USB, and a  foot switch/controller connected to one of them.  I wish to play a one-shot sample in Falcon by pressing the foot switch instead of a key on a keyboard which I’ve been doing for a while and works fine.

Output from MIDI monitor when pressing pedal:

04:41:45.130 From KeyLab mkII 61 MIDI Control 1 Effect Control 1 (coarse) 17
    04:41:45.140 From KeyLab mkII 61 MIDI Control 1 Effect Control 1 (coarse) 93
    04:41:45.140 From KeyLab mkII 61 MIDI Control 1 Effect Control 1 (coarse) 123
    04:41:45.145 From KeyLab mkII 61 MIDI Control 1 Effect Control 1 (coarse) 127
    04:41:45.280 From KeyLab mkII 61 MIDI Control 1 Effect Control 1 (coarse) 34
    04:41:45.285 From KeyLab mkII 61 MIDI Control 1 Effect Control 1 (coarse) 0

So I could just trigger on MIDI channel 1 Controller 1 value of 127 for a full press.

Anyone have some guidance on how I’d set this up?

Thanks in advance!

Lance

SimonORorke
    Participant

Output from MIDI monitor when pressing pedal:

Is this from your footswitch or from an expression pedal?  Either way, it does not look right.  A footswitch should only signal 0 and 127.  In my hardware setup, I have to configure the input ports into which footswitch and expression pedals are plugged, specifying whether the signal should be converted to on/off (such as for a footswitch) or continuous (usual for an expression  pedal).  The CC number is also specified.  Currently you have CC1.

So, if you can, fix the input port’s conversion of the signal to MIDI.   It looks like your input ports, like mine, are in the back of a keyboard.  So it’s your keyboard’s configuration that you want to look at.  Convert the signal from the footswitch to On/Off (or it might say Toggle).  The MIDI monitor should then only see 0 and 127.  It is also possible to convert an expression pedal’s signal to On/Off, in which case the change between 0 and 127 is when the expression pedal crosses the halfway point.

Also, you should probably change the MIDI CC number.  CC1 is normally used for the keyboard’s modulation wheel.

Does that help? I don’t know how to trigger a one shot  sample in response to MIDI CC value 127, or whether it’s possible.  If you need advice on that, maybe you can post more details, with screenshots.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by SimonORorke. Reason: added 'how'
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by SimonORorke. Reason: changed 'go into' to 'are in'

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.