Noob questions

• ffx
    Participant

Hi,

I have a bunch of noob questions regarding Falcon, maybe you can help me 🙂

1. I add two analog oscs, and trying to finetune each randomly, without using the unison module (so creating an individual unison). So I added an an unison modular to the pitch of the oscs section, but nothing happens. Do I need to use a sub-modulator?

2. Can I create a polyphonic lfo and connect it to the pitch?

3. Can I open the manual inside Falcon?

4. Is it possible to randomize the start phase of the internal unison voices of the analog osc? Same for PWM.

5. Can I lowpass-filter a modulation source?

6. The drunk modulator seems to work polyphonic, but in “no retrigger” mode, I don’t understand how to define the speed of detuning, also changes of the parameters then do not seem to change anything.

7. Which filter do you think sounds most similar to a curtis filter?

Thx

• This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by ffx.

Sampleconstruct
    Keymaster

I see that your questions have already been answered on KVR by Evil Dragon and myself.

Sampleconstruct
    Keymaster

…and these were the answers so other users who might have similar requests can learn:

1. Use the random modulator instead.
    2. Yes, that’s the LFO at keygroup level.
    3. No.
    4. Hmmm, I don’t think so, but maybe Simon knows the answer to that.
    5. Maybe with a mod mapper, but there’s no lag processor per se in Falcon.
    6. Speed of detuning is the Bandwidth knob. Are you using it at keygroup level?
    7. There’ve been a number of Curtis filters, you’re gonna have to be more specific. But in truth, Xpander filter might be closest to ONE specific setup of a one specific Curtis chip. None of the filters are fully circuit-modelled, though.
    8. Analog stack has the panning option per oscillator. Others not really, but you can always put keygroups into separate layers and pan them differently.

4.) Open tree view, select the oscillator, check the inspector window at the lower left and set phase to free running, each new note will have its dedicated phase offset.

ffx
    Participant

Hi thanks for the answers.

Regarding 4), do you exactly mean “phase spread” instead “phase”? Also I only find then the option “continuous” and not “free running”.

I would like to “randomly” set the phases of each unison voice myself, so for example the range of randomness would be limited, or it wasn’t random, but a ramping instead and so on. AFAIK this can produce very interesting results in phasing 🙂

Also, I cannot believe there is no panning per OSC, as evil dragon stated. Can you confirm this?

Thanks!

ffx
    Participant

Ah, and:

9. What for do I use the unison modulator then? Do have have an example?

10. Is it possible to copy/move filters from keygroup to a parent group?

11. Are there any shortcuts for removing or duplicating?

12. The random modulator pretty often plays the initial value, for a knob set to 0, it more often seems to play at 0 then. Any idea? Also the bipolar random set to 0.5 pretty often seems to play the maximum/minimum.

13. Are there any other ways to “mono-fy” the bassrange of a sound other than using an M/S eq?

Sampleconstruct
    Keymaster

Panning is happening on keygroup level not on oscillator level.

Just use the analog stack oscillator, each oscillator in there has a phase knob (and a panning slider), then assign a unipolar random modulator or better, use very slow random LFOs which are re-triggering with each note you play.

Sampleconstruct
    Keymaster

And the unison module only works in conjunction with Layer Unison, so set the layer to e.g. 3 voices, then assign a unison modulator on keygroup level assigned to pan/pitch/phase/filter cutoff or whatever else.

ffx
    Participant

Aah ok! Thanks a lot.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.