Mono retrigger in a layer = one oscillator max?

• pat
    Participant

This bugs me and I feel like I’m doing something stupid.

I add an two oscillators to a single layer. They both play. I change the layer play mode to mono retrigger. Only one oscillator plays.

If I want to make a mono legato instrument with multiple oscillators, do I have to use multiple layers? Seems like it. It’s powerful when I want that option… but dumb and tedious when I don’t.

Sampleconstruct
    Keymaster

Yes, that’s the way to go, monophonic is monophonic (1 voice, 2 oscillators need 2 voices), of course you can use unison voices on layer level but that’s not the solution.

If you select both layers in list view you can edit them simultaneously for setting up things like filter, envelopes, pitch, whatever happens on keygroup/oscillator level.

Sampleconstruct
    Keymaster

Actually I was writing nonsense, for test purposes I just setup a patch with 2 oscillators in one keygroup in a layer which is set to Mono Retrigger and both oscillators play just fine.

Sampleconstruct
    Keymaster

Actually I was writing nonsense, for test purposes I just setup a patch with 2 oscillators in one keygroup in a layer which is set to Mono Retrigger and both oscillators play just fine.

Here is a quick and dirty test video using 3 oscillators in one keygroup in a Mono Retrigger layer, so it works just fine.

pat
    Participant

Oh interesting. I had never done it that way. I would just drag an oscillator over the keyboard, and then do it again – which creates two keygroups. I guess mono means it can only play one keygroup at a time… but multiple oscillators are allowed in a single keygroup as you pointed out. Thanks!

So, let’s say I have two keygroups, and I want to move an oscillator from one keygroup into another. Is that possible? Tree view shows the oscillators, but doesn’t have any cut / paste functions, or drag and drop. List view has cut / paste, but doesn’t show the oscillators.

Sampleconstruct
    Keymaster

Oh interesting. I had never done it that way. I would just drag an oscillator over the keyboard, and then do it again – which creates two keygroups. I guess mono means it can only play one keygroup at a time… but multiple oscillators are allowed in a single keygroup as you pointed out. Thanks! So, let’s say I have two keygroups, and I want to move an oscillator from one keygroup into another. Is that possible? Tree view shows the oscillators, but doesn’t have any cut / paste functions, or drag and drop. List view has cut / paste, but doesn’t show the oscillators.

Save the oscillator into your user library and then select it in the other keygroup -> create node -> choose anything -> then access your user library.

One can only move keygroups to a new layer in the keygroup editor or copy/duplicate oscillators inside a keygroup via alt+drag.

Sampleconstruct
    Keymaster

And don’t forget to unlock the oscillators if you want to edit them individually.

pat
    Participant

Save the oscillator into your user library and then select it in the other keygroup -> create node -> choose anything -> then access your user library. One can only move keygroups to a new layer in the keygroup editor or copy/duplicate oscillators inside a keygroup via alt+drag.

Ah okay. I’m going to have to get into the habit of saving things into the user library.

So, let’s say I want to save a keygroup preset, which has three oscillators in it. I don’t think you can do that, can you? Basically you can save presets for individual modulators, or entire patch presets, right? So the way to save my three oscillators as a preset would be to save my program somewhere, and then load it in as a layer?

Whoa, duplicating oscillators with alt-drag is trippy! Turns out that’s in the release notes.

Thanks for the info 🙂

Sampleconstruct
    Keymaster

I thought you wanted to save single oscillator templates, you can do that. You can’t save kegroups. As I don’t know what you’re trying to achieve, you asked for copying oscillators from one keygroup to another and I gave the answer. Save the osc, in the the target keygroup either duplicate the existing osc or add a new one and in that new one just load the oscillator preset you saved before.

pat
    Participant

Oh yeah, sorry, I have a tendency to think about the next thing as soon as I get something sorted out.

You definitely helped me with the oscillator question, thanks.

“The next thing” I’m thinking of then is if I have three oscillators in a keygroup and I want to reuse those in a new program. I think it’s best to save it as a program, and then load the program in as a layer. Anyway I’ll keep experimenting.

Sampleconstruct
    Keymaster

Related to this topic is a tutorial about individual editing/tuning of oscillators within a keygroup.

Tutorial – Independent Oscillator Tuning Inside One Keygroup

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.