sample / layer / keygroup legato (like EXS24)

• pat
    Participant

Okay here’s what I’m trying to do:

I want to map a single sample to two keys. One key is the dry version. The other key is the same sample but with effects. When I play legato, I want it to transition from the dry version to the effects version – but at the same point in the sample as in the dry version.

It’s for a loop, not an instrument. So the idea is that I can drop in a loop and create multiple versions of the sound, and morph between them by playing legato.

I say it’s “like EXS24” in the subject because from what I remember, EXS24 can do this with samples. You can set up two samples, play legato, and it will switch from one sample to the other but maintain the play position.

Ideally I could do this with keygroups / layers and not samples…

—-

The closest I’ve gotten so far is using the IRCAM granular oscillator, setting each oscillator’s speed to 0, a unipolar ramp up LFO modulating the sample start point w/ LFO frequency set to the loop length. I have to set the trigger mode to song or no retrigger for it to do the switch.

This is pretty good (really cool actually) but I can’t play it on the keyboard normally. It’s keeping its position set to an internal sequencer sort of thing.

I imagine there might be some way to do it with the normal sample oscillator but I haven’t figured that out, which is why I tried the granular w/ position modulator.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, please let me hear them. I’m trying to create a single instrument that lets me morph a loop easily. For now I can use it w/ song retrigger mode, but I’d like to be able to play it more freely.

Sampleconstruct
    Keymaster

Why don’t you just map the sample to the same key in two keygroups, assign the modulation wheel or even a Macro switch to osc gain, one of them inverted and then use the wheel/switch/controller to crossfade/switch between the two. Using non-retriggering LFOs or multi envelopes assigned to grain position in the granular oscillator is the closest to what you want to achieve but once triggered they never reset until the release phase of the ADSR is over.

pat
    Participant

I want to do a lot more than 2. I want to create a bunch of variations that I can morph between. I’m just using 2 to start because if I can get that working then I can add more.

Sampleconstruct
    Keymaster

I just checked again, a multi envelope in legato mode assigned to grain position does what you’re asking for, but your initial request to actually switch between different samples would require them to be triggered by the same key, so it’s somewhat a contradiction. You can play the same sample in legato mode so that it will only re-trigger when playing non-legato.

pat
    Participant

The point is that they’re not triggered by the same key. In fact you can use different samples. Here’s a setup that works:

• program-level multi envelope set to legato (layer envelope probably works just as well)
    • layer setting = mono retrigger
    • multiple keygroups in same layer, with grain position modulated by the envelope

I haven’t tried it with keygroups from different layers yet… I suspect they wouldn’t work since it relies on the mono retrigger layer setting

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.