Falcon Hierarchy – Tree View

• Sampleconstruct
    Keymaster

Copied from another thread, as this is an important topic:

Just stopping by to say hello. I never really have had the time to dig into Falcon, and I’m hoping this forum will be the motivation I need to start learning it. Specifically, I’m still a little unclear about the intended roles of the different levels in the tree hierarchy. I assume there must already be some basic overview tutorials somewhere which cover this?

Welcome to the forum.

I don’t think there is a dedicated tutorial on that topic, basically it’s:

Oscillator – Keygroup – Layer – Program – Multi

Keygroups can contain numerous oscillators (also of different types and with round robin chains), the mapping is done on keygroup level. Layers can contain multiple keyroups, Programs can contain multiple layers (also with round robin chains and plenty of other rules defined in layer rules). Multis can contain multiple programs.

Polyphopnic/per voice modulation are only possible on oscillator and keygroup level, on layer level they become monophonic (there is a workaround for some special situation). Filters and some effects can be inserted on keygroup level, most effects can only be inserted on layer/program level (e.g. you can’t have a reverb unit per voice as that would bust any CPU) but you can use e.g. a waveshaper on keygroup level.

Actually this is becoming an article for the knowledgebase 🙂

EDIT: I wrote a quick one here, to be extended later.

deastman
    Participant

Thanks Simon.  That helps to clarify things quite a bit.  I guess where it gets a little hazy for me is determining what should be done at the keygroup vs. layer level, and then again at the layer vs. program level.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by deastman.

Sampleconstruct
    Keymaster

Thanks Simon. That helps to clarify things quite a bit. I guess where it gets a little hazy for me is determining what should be done at the keygroup vs. layer level, and then again at the layer vs. program level.

Actually you can load programs into layers, so layers/programs are pretty much capable of the same things. BUT: scripts and layer rules are only available on program level, arpeggiators can be used on both levels.

I’ll make a tutorial on this soon.

Sampleconstruct
    Keymaster

And everything that needs polyphonic modulators (LFOs/envelopes/steppers) happens on keygroup level as on layer level things become monophonic.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.